HTL is the world leader in the production of pharmaceutical grade Hyaluronic Acid (hyaluronan) by fermentation. This biopolymer is naturally present in the human body where it plays an essential role in several physiological functions. It has been a key ingredient for many different types of biomaterials, medical devices and pharmaceutical products for several decades, and still has great potential for innovation.
Hyaluronic Acid as a component of the human body
Hyaluronic Acid, also known as Hyaluronan, is a natural component of most connective tissues, such as synovial fluid and the vitreous humor of the eye. It is involved in tissue hydration and structural scaffolding and provides viscoelasticity, which results in lubrication and shock absorbing functionalities.
Hyaluronic Acid is also involved in more advanced functions. With its ability to bind to multiple extracellular proteins distributed among numerous pathophysiological systems, it contributes to the modulation of many biochemical processes such as cell proliferation and differentiation, cell adhesion and inflammation, wound healing and tissue repair.
Hyaluronic Acid as a component of medical products
With its renowned natural functions, combined with the fact that it is biocompatible, non-immunogenic, biodegradable and able to be further functionalized by chemical modification, Hyaluronic Acid is a key raw material or component for many biomaterials, medical devices and pharmaceutical products today, including injectables, eye-drops, hydrogels or topical medications. It is used as a dermal filler, protects eye tissues during ophthalmic surgery, is injected as a visco-supplement for osteoarthritis, is used for the surface coating of medical devices in surgery, and a wide range of additional applications.
The current most prevalent functional uses are:
- Filling, bulking in aesthetics and urology
- Tissue protection in cataract surgery
- Visco-supplementation in rheumatology, in dermatology and ophthalmology
- Medical device coating in surgery
Additionally, Hyaluronic Acid is increasingly investigated and used in advanced applications such as:
- Anti-inflammatory, wound healing in dermatology, rheumatology, dental surgery
- Drug carrier in oncology
- Scaffold for tissue engineering in regenerative medicine and medical research
- Shield for surgical sites and wound healing promoter in implantology
Click here to learn more.
Why molecular weight matters?
The mechanical and biological properties of Hyaluronic Acid are directly linked to the size of the molecule and to molecular weight. The lower the molecular weight, the lower the viscosity. However, the biological response of cells (such as an angiogenic effect) is significantly impacted. A higher molecular weight, conversely leads to a higher viscosity, that is required for certain medical applications such as biomaterials.
HTL is recognized by its clients and partners for the first-class product quality and great diversity of its Hyaluronic Acid.
- From very low to very high Molecular Weight and Intrinsic viscosity
- MW: from 8 kDa to 4.5 MDa
- IV: from 0.1 to 3.8 m3/kg
- Tailor-made products according to specific needs
- High purity level: compliance with the most stringent requirements (ions, proteins, nucleic acids, endotoxins). Impurity levels lower than the EP monograph are available on demand.
- Excellent batch to batch consistency
- Superior stability resulting in long-lasting functionality in end-products
HTL is the only supplier of Hyaluronic Acid in a readily-soluble fiber form.
The fiber form allows efficient dissolution, providing competitive advantage versus powder form, as it preserves molecular weight by minimizing degradation due to the shear stress of stirring.
HTL can also supply:
- Labeled Hyaluronic Acid materials for non-clinical use: ²H labeled,¹³C labeled, Oligosaccharides (5 to 70 kDa), O-Sulfated,
- Modified Hyaluronic Acid analogs: Tailor-made chemically functionalized derivatives of Hyaluronic Acid, including but not limited to hydrazidation, epoxy grafting, sulfation, silylation, deacetylation, alkylation… Click here to learn more about Hyaluronic Acid derivatives.
Click here to request a sample.
HTL supports the commercialization of its clients’ finished products worldwide by registering its Hyaluronic Acid solutions in many countries and makes sure production standards are met.
HTL is compliant with GMP Part II. It has been inspected by ANSM, US FDA and PMDA for the manufacture of API.
Hyaluronic Acid produced by HTL is a product of non-animal, natural origin, obtained from a highly controlled manufacturing process performed in state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities located in France. HTL uses only non-animal-derived materials.
HTL produces injectable grade Hyaluronan by biotechnology, starting with the fermentation of a natural Streptococcus equi strain, selected for its safety and capacity to produce Hyaluronic Acid with a high molecular weight. HTL’s proprietary downstream process allows the production of Hyaluronan fiber with an exceptionally low level of impurities.