HTL is offering a new source of Chondroitin Sulfate and other derivatives, of non-animal origin.
While most Chondroitin Sulfate on the market is of animal origin (bovine, pig, shark, fish, bird), HTL is developing a new source of Chondroitin Sulfate of non-animal origin, using biotechnology.
What is Chondroitin?
Chondroitin Sulfate is a glycosaminoglycan, an important structural component of cartilage. It is also an essential component of certain proteoglycans, and mediates various biological functions such as inhibition of inflammatory processes and cell proliferation regulation.
Characteristics and benefits of Chondroitin Sulfate by fermentation
- batch to batch consistency in terms of molecular weight and sulfation pattern
- absence of animal traces and prion contamination
- renewable, non-animal origin
- access to a Chondroitin Sulfate with higher molecular weight, which opens up the potential for new applications.
HTL can produce Chondroitin Sulfate with a Molecular Weight around 50 kDa. HTL is your partner for the development of tailor-made functionalized Chondroitin derivatives.
Opportunities in medical products
Today, the pharmaceutical grade of Chondroitin Sulfate of animal origin is used:
- in urology, for the treatment of intersticial cystitis / bladder pain syndrome and overreactive bladder
- in ophthalmology, as a component of ophthalmic visco surgical devices, mainly for cataract surgery, but also for dry eye treatment
- in rheumatology, as a component of intra-articular viscosupplements, mainly for the treatment of osteoarthritis
- in gastroenterology, for the treatment of Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- for wound healing
- for adhesion barrier in surgery
- as an hemostatic agent
Chondroitin Sulfate obtained by biotechnology is expected to be more reliable in terms of functionalities, due to its high batch to batch consistency. It could also offer additional functionalities that may result in potential new applications and benefits for patients.
Beyond medical devices already on the market, chondroitins also have potential applications in neurology and tissue engineering. Its anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties are being investigated, as well as its assets for drug delivery.
Want to learn more ? Click here to request more information.